Peterson Gym, which opened in May of 1961, is located on 55th Street, north of the Aztec Athletics Center on the west side of the San Diego State campus. The arena is able to seat 3,668 spectators and serves as home to the SDSU women’s volleyball squad. The facility has also served as a site of both NCAA volleyball and basketball tournaments. In addition, it served as the host site for the 2003 Mountain West Conference championship tournament. The facility is named after C.E. Peterson, who at various times during his 37-year Aztec career served as athletics director, football coach, track coach, basketball coach, Dean of Men and alumni executive secretary. He passed away in December of 1959.